What we learned from Syracuse’s 41-17 victory over Central Michigan

Wasim Ahmad | Staff Photographer

Riley returned a kickoff for 64 yards and hauled in a 44-yard pass to help jumpstart a Syracuse 31-0 run on Saturday night.

Backed by a strong offensive showing and a few big rushing plays, Syracuse (2-1) cruised to a 41-17 victory Saturday afternoon over Central Michigan (2-1). The Orange totaled 579 yards and held CMU to zero points over the final two and a half quarters.

Here are three things we learned from the game.

A special team(s)

Brisly Estime led the country with a punt return average of 17.7 yards last year, but SU had only seven yards on six returns through two games this year. Sean Riley bumped the total by returning three punts for 20 total yards on Saturday. His 64-yard kickoff return set up SU’s game-tying touchdown in the second quarter. Syracuse went on to score three more unanswered.

Aside from two Cole Murphy kickoffs that went out of bounds, SU thrived on special teams. Redshirt sophomore punter Sterling Hofrichter averaged 51 yards and landed three punts inside the 20. Murphy connected on two field goals, one for 41 yards and one for 25.

“The special teams I thought was a drastic turnaround from the week before,” SU head coach Dino Babers said. “As much as a negative they were last week, I think they were an extremely positive in this game. That was one of the things greatly in our favor: the way our special teams played.”

Third down? No problem

Syracuse entered Saturday ranked fifth in the country in third-down defense. SU was no different against the Chippewas, holding them to 3-of-16 on third downs.

On the season, SU has held opponents to 7-of-43 on third downs, a 16.3 percent success rate. A mix of varying blitzes and strong coverage on inside receivers forced CMU quarterback Shane Morris — who entered the game 12th in the country in passing — to get rid of the ball quicker, resulting in incompletions or feeble attempts to scramble.

“We settled down and got into the flow of the game,” SU captain and senior linebacker Zaire Franklin said. “Third downs all about execution. It’s the most critical down. Guys were locked in on their assignments.”

Riley’s return

Riley, a dynamic 5-foot-8, 155-pound sophomore who plays both offense and special teams, kick-started the Orange attack. Down seven, Riley darted for a 64-yard kickoff return. On the same possession, junior quarterback Eric Dungey found Dontae Strickland for a touchdown to tie the game at 17. Riley also made an over-the-shoulder catch on a 44-yard pass from Dungey. On the next play, Strickland snuck up the middle for a nine-yard touchdown.

“Man, Sean is lightning fast,” Franklin said.

Riley took over Estime’s role of second slot receiver and returns kickoffs last week, with a long of 48 yards. On Saturday, he returned a pair of kickoffs for 89 yards with a long of 64.

“Just making big plays,” Riley said.

Riley entered the game having returned only five punts for five yards. He muffed a punt against Middle Tennessee State and, three plays later, the Blue Raiders scored the game-tying touchdown. Against Central Michigan, he returned three punts for 20 yards.