Syracuse University to convert Sheraton into undergrad housing

Maxine Brackbill | Photo Editor

The Sheraton Hotel & Conference Center will close after spring commencement for construction, and is set to open as a 400-bed residence hall next fall. Some students have lived there since last year.

Syracuse University will convert the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center into an undergraduate student residence hall, according to a Wednesday news release.

The complex will include nearly 400 beds, with construction set to start in summer 2024 and the opening set for fall 2024. The Sheraton will close following this spring’s commencement for construction, according to the release.

The conversion is part of SU’s Campus Framework, which is a 20-year plan to assess and improve the university’s space usage.

“By converting the Sheraton into a residence hall, we are creating new housing opportunities that make it easier for our students, especially our first-year and transfer students, to acclimate to life at Syracuse, find their community and develop a sense of belonging,” Allen Groves, SU’s senior vice president and chief student experience officer, said in the release.

SU’s decision to convert the hotel came after a three-year housing review that found students wanted more housing options on North Campus.

Last year, SU began housing students in the Sheraton as well as other non-traditional locations, including the Marley Education Center and 206 Walnut Pl., a former sorority house, due to an unexpectedly large incoming freshman class. SU has also acquired several other properties surrounding North Campus in recent years, including on S. Crouse Avenue and Comstock Avenue, drawing concern from long-time Syracuse residents.

Once the Sheraton closes, all of its staff will be offered positions at SU — many of which will be union jobs, the release said. People with reservations at the Sheraton after its set closing date will be notified by Sheraton staff.